Friday 27 December 2013

Vegan Tuna

I'm surprised at how little I've used jackfruit, particularly given how spectacular the results are. Probably the main reason I don't use it more is because it's essentially devoid of protein - so I would only have it if I've had plenty in other meals on that day.

In view of the mad hot weather, culinary boredom, and the acquisition of three more tins of jackfruit, I decided to try something different.

In cooler times I would go for the pulled "pork" recipes, and I didn't much feel like anything complicated by breading and frying (which ruled out the Fat Free Vegan's crab cakes). Other recipes used more ingredients than I could be bothered to assemble, leading to a completely lazy recipe as follows.

The results are more delicious than the (lack of) effort deserves. Also better than it looks - I won't spell out the analogies.

You will need - a bowl, and a processor/blender (I used my Vitamix).

Into the machine add:

  • 1 tbs Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbs Old Bay seasoning (I found a low sodium version at USA Foods)
  • 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tbs vegan "fish" sauce
  • 1/2 tbs Bragg's
  • 1 finely scissor'd up length of kelp
  • 2 dry bay leaves
  • a dash of smoked paprika
  • 1 tbs nutritional yeast
  • 1 can corn kernels
Process on low speed until just combined and still a bit chunky. 

Drain the jackfruit into a bowl, and pull the lumps into small bits/shreds. Add to the corn mixture and process on low speed for about 30-60 seconds. Again, just to combine and still with texture.

And that's it. 

Obviously this could be used to make tuna sandwiches, if that's your thing, but I also suspect it would be a good mimic for spicy tuna sushi rolls and so forth. 

No comments: